Location: Dunks Ferry Road just west of Lester
Date visited: 10/16/12
Equipment: An assembly of many types of modern play equipment into several loose zones:
- Two stone elephants are left from an earlier era (used to be sprayers, but no drain now, so just for climbing), out in front of the rec. center. The rest of the playground is to the left/behind the building.
- Lower playset (under the trees) has low monkeybars, rope net climbing, binoculars and megaphone
- Medium playset includes a climbing wall, med. metal slide (steep!), a low bench underneath, standing (angled) spinners, and climbing
- There's a large set of swings including 4 bucket and 6 strap swings
- One grouping is two freestanding spinning cups and a three-person hobby-totter
- Large playset has an angled balance board/climber, vertical rope array with climbing and sitting nodes, rope-ish monkey bars, a harder climbing wall
- A large and festive water sprayground includes poles that spray many directions, arches that spray inward (to run through), and a tall palm tree
Surface: rubbery around equipment; cement or grass elsewhere
Other: recreation center, grassy areas, tennis, soccer (tons), basketball, extra blacktop
Access: 6am-10pm posted
Impressions: This inventive and colorful playground takes the play innovations seen at Franklin Square and Herron Park, but includes water, swings, and enough grass to support picnics and frisbee galore. No shade on most of the playspace is a drawback, but benches aplenty for weary caretakers. Worth a visit, especially with older kids who are jaded on the challenges of more typical playgrounds -- they won't run out!
Overall rating: 10