Location: Parkside Road @ 53rd
Date visited: 7/16/11
Equipment: A number of separate pieces scattered around a medium playspace:
- A modern teeter-totter
- Two spinning seats, one modified cup-style and the other a platform
- A stegosaurus-shaped small playset with easy climbing and a double plastic slide
- A firetruck hobby horse, with two seats -- actualy rocks too!
- A freestanding 6-foot spiral slide with its own stairs/ladder
- Larger playset, but low, with tunnel/playhouse features underneath, an unusual rubbery bridge, low double (straight) and higher single (spiral) plastic slides, various climbing including a barrel-stave style ladder
- Swings (4 strap and 2 bucket)
- A fenced sizeable sprayground with two pillars and numerous pavement sprayers (not on at time of visit; also has activation pillar)
Surface: rubbery woodchips
Other: shaded stone picnic benches and grassy areas (on other side of rec. center building), basketball (little league game during on the courts at time of our visit), tennis (8 courts)
Access: not posted, but not fenced (dawn to dusk?)
Impressions: Creative playspace for younger kids is colorful and inviting, and pairing with nearby grass, shade, and picnic tables could make a nice outing. Looks recently renovated and well maintained. Limited offerings for kids older than 6 or 7, but worth a trip for toddlers or when the sprayground is active.
Overall rating: 8* (youngest kids only)